Thursday 18 December 2014

What else can you possess?

The fool lives around the idea of "my" and "mine": my nation, my religion, my race, my family, my wealth, my children, my parents...he lives around "my" and "mine."
And he has come alone and he will go alone; nobody brings anything into the world and nobody takes anything from the world. Alone, empty-handed we come; alone, emptyhanded we go.
The wise knows it; hence the wise claims nothing a "mine."
He uses things, but he does not possess them. Using is perfectly good -- use all the things of the world, they ARE for you.
The world is a gift from God -- use it, but don't possess it.
The moment you become a possessor, you cannot use things -- the things start using you.
The moment you become a possessor, in fact you are possessed by your things, you become a slave.
And the very idea of possessing is stupid.
How can you possess anything?
You don't even possess your own being.
What else can you possess?
You are not even a master of yourself.
OshO 
The Dhammapada: The Way of the Buddha, Vol 2


No comments:

Post a Comment