Wednesday 13 May 2015

You cannot address God as ‘thou’ when you have known

Socrates says, ”When I was young I thought I knew all. When I became a little older, I started to understand that I know very little.
When a little more maturity was attained, I came to know that I
know nothing – or, I know only one thing, that I know nothing.”
The day Socrates declared this – ”I know only one thing, that I know nothing” – the oracle at the Delphi temple declared: ”Socrates is the greatest wise man alive.” Those who heard this rushed to Socrates.
They said, ”Now, this is a paradox. You say you know only one thing, that you know nothing. And the oracle of Delphi has declared: ‘Socrates is the wisest man on earth’ – and on the same day! Now please explain it to us; we are puzzled.”
Socrates said, ”Go and ask the oracle again. There must have been some misunderstanding – because I know only one thing, that I know nothing.”
People went back and the oracle was asked. And the oracle said, ”Yes, that’s why I have declared that he is the wisest man in the world – that’s WHY I have declared it. His coming to know, ”I know nothing” is the ultimate knowing. The river has disappeared into the ocean.
There is no knower now, so who can clam? There is no separation left, Socrates is no more. That’s why he is the wisest man alive on the earth.”
The ego is continuously with you like a shadow, it follows you wherever you go. You are in the world, it follows you. You go to the temple, it follows you. You become religious, it follows you. And it is so
clever that whatsoever garb is needed, it puts on.
And remember, unless your reflection in the mirror completely disappears, you have not come face to face with God, because God is not a mirror. God is an ocean to the river: one simply dissolves into him. You cannot address God as ‘thou’ when you have known – because there is no ‘I’ to address him as ‘thou’
~OSHO
CHAPTER 7 #. THE SACRED EXPLOSION.


No comments:

Post a Comment