Tuesday 14 April 2015

Condense religion into a single statement

After nine years, when Bodhidharma was returning to India, he gathered four of his chief disciples and he asked them, ”Condense religion into a single statement so that I can know whether you have understood me or not.”
The first one said, ”Compassion is religion. That is Buddha’s basic message: compassion.”
Bodhidharma said, ”You have my bones, but nothing else.”
The second disciple said, ”Meditation. To be silent, to be so utterly silent that not a single thought moves inside you: that is the essence of
religion.”
Bodhidharma said, ”You have my flesh, but nothing more; because in what you are saying, you are only repeating my words. In your eyes I don’t see the silence; on your face I don’t see the depth that
silence brings.”
The third one said, ”It cannot be said. It is inexpressible.”
Bodhidharma said, ”You have my marrow. But if it cannot be said, why have you used even these words? You have already said it. Even in saying’It cannot be said, it cannot be expressed,’ you are saying something about it; hence I say you have only the marrow.”
He turned towards the fourth. There were tears in the disciple’s eyes and he fell at Bodhidharma’s feet. Bodhidharma shook him and asked him again and again, ”What is religion?” But only tears of joy... his hands holding his feet in gratitude. The disciple never spoke a single word, not even that it cannot be said, it is inexpressible.
Bodhidharma hugged him and said, ”You have me. Now I can go in peace because I am leaving something of me behind.”
OSHO
Chapter 11 : Truth: not a dogma but a dance
From Ignorance to Innocence

heart emoticon

No comments:

Post a Comment