Wednesday 15 April 2015

Confucius !

The second, THE ANALECTS OF CONFUCIUS. I don't like Confucius at all, and I don't feel any guilt about not liking him. I feel really relieved that it is now on record. Confucius and Lao Tzu were contemporaries. Lao Tzu was a little older; Confucius had even gone to see Lao Tzu and came back trembling, shaken to the very roots, perspiring. His disciples asked, "What happened in the cave? ... Because you were both there and nobody else."
Confucius said, "It is good that nobody witnessed it. That man, my God, he is a dragon! He would have killed me, but I escaped. He is truly dangerous."

Confucius is reporting truly. A man like Lao Tzu can kill you just to resurrect you; and unless one is ready to die one cannot be reborn. Confucius escaped from his own rebirth.
I have already chosen Lao Tzu, and forever. Confucius belonged to the very ordinary, mundane world. But let it be noted that I don't like him; he is a snob. It is strange he was not born in England.
But anyway, China in those days WAS England. In those days England was just barbarious, there was nothing of value there.
Confucius was a politician, cunning, clever, but not really intelligent; otherwise he would have fallen at the feet of Lao Tzu, he would not have escaped. He was not only afraid of Lao Tzu, he was afraid of silence... because Lao Tzu and silence are the same.

But I wanted to include one of Confucius' most famous books, just to be fair. ANALECTS is his most important book. To me it is just like the roots of a tree, ugly but very essential - what you call a necessary evil. ANALECTS is a necessary evil. In it he talks about the world and worldly matters, politics and all. One disciple asked him, "Master, what about silence?"
Confucius was irritated, annoyed. He shouted at the disciple and said, "Shut up! Silence? - silence you will have in your grave. In life there is no need for it, there are many much more important things to do."
This was his attitude. You can understand why I don't like him. I pity him. He was a good man. Alas, he came so close to one of the greatest, Lao Tzu, and yet missed! I can only shed a tear for him.

Osho 
Books I Have Loved, Chapter#11.

No comments:

Post a Comment